Just Average

October 29, 2012 by IowaTriBob

Today I spent several minutes thinking about what I wanted to share about my training, nutrition, events, or anything triathlon related and I came to the conclusion that there really isn’t anything in particular happening. In fact, this past week has been somewhat of an average type of week.

After running a new PR last week my calves and right hamstring felt really tight and sore for the next couple of days so I went easy on them with only swimming, some P90X core, and some spinning. Thanks to a review by Chatter and previous mention by Elisariva I purchased a foam roller with some heavy duty spikes and can say that I absolutely love it – thanks.

On Saturday I had a bike time trial where after a 15-20 minute warm-up I rode hard for time and distance for 20 minutes, recovered for 2, and then rode another 20 hard for time and distance. I averaged 18.5 mph on the first twenty (into a 5-10 mph headwind) and just over 21 mph on the way back. Nothing spectacular on either split and it felt like a good struggle the entire ride. In addition to feeling like putting in a few average workouts my nutrition seems to have slacked off a bit as well.

Saturday was my birthday so I used it as an excuse to have some ice cream, snacks – including some Twinkies, and junk food with the family and a few drinks (and some appetizers) with a good friend while watching the college football games. We were talked into trying a new drink called an “Irish Breakfast” by the bartender. In case your curious, it’s made of Jameson mixed with some type of butterscotch liquor with an orange juice chaser and slice of bacon on the side.

Somehow the eating gaps seem to have started on Thursday evening and rolled over into today. I wouldn’t consider it to be a really bad week as there were a lot of really solid meals in between and some of the snacking might even be considered healthy (like the Peanut Butter bars that my daughter and I turned into Goblin bars from a recipe Carrie posted at fitnessandfrozengrapes). But it still just felt like an average week.

So, I’m hoping I can find a little spark and motivation over the next 24-48 hours to get back in the swing of things and break out of the feeling of being just average.

18 thoughts on “Just Average

Happy birthday!! And reflect on all you have done, the training you do, and the races yet to come. Dude, you are far from average!

2. Solange Deschatres says:

First of all, Mr. Bob, you are a triathlete, so you’re anything BUT average! Look at all that you’ve accomplished thus far. I’d say that’s pretty impressive. We all have our “less than amazing” weeks, but, just remember, as trite as it sounds, you’re still beating everyone sitting at home and watching reality TV. ;)

Thank you very much and although you’re right in overall it probably wasn’t that lazy it sure felt like it. Its amazing that just the little mental break feels like all that was needed and I’m looking forward to my workouts and the next week or two to come. Thanks again!

3. ichoosetotri says:

I blogged about that today…offseasons are way lame! Its tough without some goal to look forward to. Plus, having Halloween candy in the house is never good for me haha.

Happy birthday, glad the roller worked out for you. You have inspired and helped with my training allot as I am still new to this. If you were average you would be on the couch watching fall television, not thinking of training and related stuff. Go find a 5k,, there are tons if then, have a fun run. Enjoy you are alive to share another year.

Thanks for the bday wish and really loving the roller – it hurts so good! I think similar to your last post, it was just one of those weeks where the mind and body both needed a little break with everything else going on. Now back at it full steam ahead with new goals and new adventures.

5. Happy B-Day, hope you find that spark. From a coaching perspective, it is when athletes fight through days like this that they can improve the most. Athletes don’t become great by working hard when they already feel good. It’s fighting through days (or weeks) when things aren’t perfect, when the results we want seem out of reach that we can learn the most about ourselves. You felt average this week. But you showed up and gave an honest effort and that is how people become better than average.

Thank you and this was exactly what I needed. It really is the days where you don’t want to show up that count the most.

• The Guat says:

Completely agree with UltraSwimFast here. Getting through the average parts, in training and in life, are what sometimes make the difference. Happy belated birthday! Hope it was a good one. :)

6. bgddyjim says:

Look at the bright side, brother… Your idea of average is probably top 10% or better in the nation. Did you know 60% of Iowans can’t run a mile? By that measure alone, you’re way above average… Your perception of average is just way too high, ;)

Jim, thanks and I appreciate the comment. What I love about the community is that most all of us have extremely high expectations of ourselves and can definitely relate.

Happy belated Birthday, and thanks for the pingback! Sounds like a solid time trial on the bike! PS – I would *so* like to see a picture of your Goblin bars! :)

8. Happy belated birthday! You don’t sound too average…just ran a PR, completed a great time trial on the bike, P90X, etc!