June 27, 2013 by IowaTriBob
These past 2 weeks have been absolutely chaotic, both personally and professionally. Unfortunately it’s been extremely hard to keep up on all my favorite blogs, keep in touch with good friends, as well as post what I’ve been up to. Well I’m back and while there is a lot to share, I wanted to start with 10 things I just can’t stand about summer!
10. Where did all the hours in the day go? Since summer arrived less than a week ago I feel like there has been a time warp that magically speeds up the day. A swim in the morning, work all day, a ride or run after work, cool down, dinner, and it’s already 9:30pm – what’s with that!
9. Summer solstice has come and gone – meaning the days are actually beginning to get shorter. Yes I know you can’t tell yet but even just knowing it, combined with #10 above, and it’s depressing already.
8. Cycling glasses that come with built in cataracts. It doesn’t matter how much I clean and shine them, 20 minutes into a ride and at least one of the lenses blurs over from sweat running across it. By the end of most rides I have the eye sight of a 100 year old dog.
7. Sweat induced eye burns. These are just classic and I especially love when a little sun screen mixes in and provides just that little extra searing pain.
6. Bug supplements while riding or running. I’ll spare you the details but I could give the Survivor Wild guy a run for his money on which species of bugs taste the best.
5. Dehydration. This is 100% my fault but I still blame it entirely on summer. With the temps rising right along with the humidity it’s hard to know just when and how much fluid to bring with you during any workout.
4. My office has become a locker room – or at least it smells like one. Now I don’t hate this nearly as much as my co-workers but any attempt to work out over the noon hour and my workout clothes instantly get hung up across anything that will help them dry before stuffing them back into my bag. I know – gross!
3. The neighbor kids think every day is a party! Yes I’ve become that old guy on the block that’s ready to go to bed at 10pm. For some odd reason the high school and college kids in the neighborhood just don’t see it the same way.
2. Red-winged blackbirds. I don’t know if these little bastards are unique to Iowa or not but I wish they would all move to Alaska. They line up on the power lines or fences about every quarter of a mile and dive bomb any rider or runner passing by. They fly just feet above your head squawking and chirping at you and occasionally get brave enough to jump on your head or back to help move you along. They finally leave just in time for the next neighboring bird to start it all again.
And the #1 thing I’ve come to hate about summer.
1. Laundry. I honestly didn’t even know I owned that many workout shirts, shorts, and socks. It seems like there is a basket full of sweat soaked clothes every other day and I just hate doing laundry!
And just think – it’s not even the first full week of summer yet! Oh joy…